Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Update on my Dad

Dad had his check up in Chapel Hill today...the doctor feels it would be to his advantage to start taking chemo for two years. WOW~ this means a round of Rotuxin every three months, not the whole series of chemo he received before. With this type of cancer not having a cure the doctor wants to do everything she can to prolong his life and well being. They discussed this during his last check up but he refused to do it. This time the doctor was more convincing and made him realize what MAY happen if they do not approach the future aggressively. And all I can say is my dad is a fighter and a winner...and we trust this doctor very much. I highly recommend Chapel Hill to anyone seeking oncologist and cancer treatments.
He will have a PET scan and a bone marrow test coming up soon. Please continue to pray for him and our family...we need every good day we can get. There is talk of possible stem cell transplant and other scary things.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad they are taking the aggresive approach on your Dad. Sounds like he is in the right place, and he has everyone fighting for him too. My prayers continue to be with you all.

Donielle said...

Ditto what Rhonda said. I'll continue praying.

Shari said...

Ditto the two of them......my thoughts & prayers are with you & your family!

Miss ya!

Michele said...

I am so glad you posted about your Dad...I've been wondering! Especially since my Uncle isn't well at all...I think I told you that he is in the hospital on the vent still. I wish that he could get stable enough to get to Chapel Hill for another opinion. I am glad that they are doing everything that they can and they he continues to feel well. Prayers are with you and your family!

Keri said...

Thanks for the update on your Dad. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Kelly said...

I am glad you posted about your Dad. I often wonder how he is doing. Sounds like he has a great doctor. I'm sorry he has to go through more chemo. I will continue to keep him in my prayers. Keep us updated!!

Judson's Mommy said...

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Shelley and Such said...

Thanks to all of you for your continued support...we feel really good about this approach and as I said before, I have never seen a "battle" my dad couldn't conquer...he is just one of those special people...I can only hope I can be more like him as I grow older.
And I know I comment on your blogs very little these days but whatever you are facing I am thinking of you too!

Vicky said...

Your whole family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Steve and I think so much of your Mom and Dad. I'm glad he decided to go with the chemo.

Judi said...

Cancer is a nasty thing to have. I think what happens to older people they just don't want to fight any more. My Dad is going through the same thing. Your Dad will be in prayers.