Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Its time to tell it...

I know some of you are still in suspense from my blog post a few weeks back...well, here it is...
I OFFICIALLY turned my resignation in at my job...a place I have worked at for over 8 years now...a place of advancement for me, fulfillment, laughter, stress, and a place I have built many dear friendships.
A few months back I started thinking...oh yeah, I know what you are thinking...but seriously thinking about my life...soul searching, asking myself questions, and it kept coming back to "but"...and I prayed about it and asked others to pray for me, I started making phone calls, "researching" the thoughts of my friends that have made huge career moves, listing pros and cons, endlessly talking to my husband (that orginally thought I had lost my mind)...and it all came together...
I want better for my family and my children than what we have now...I want SOOO many things, I want to send my children to private school, I want my husband and I to enjoy ourselves sometimes rather than worry about living paycheck to paycheck, I need to know ONE day we MAY be able to take family vacations for a week, I want to TITHE to God...BUT what would it take to make those needs and wants happen? alot of sacrifice and more schooling was the answer.
And yes, most of these are WANTS rather than NEEDS, BUT I am doing it for BOTH...WANTS AND NEEDS...
So folks, I am here to tell you today after MUCH consideration, many tears, many talks, and the support of my husband...I submitted my resignation yesterday with a
PLAN!
I have registered for school...I have plans to take 1-2 courses each semester at Halifax for the next two years...while keeping some children in my home...and in two years (when Rylee goes to school, a few bills are paid off, and Wade has a better job, fingers crossed!!!), I will GOD willingly enter the Dental Hygeine program!
Its a 2 year program. And a very hard program to get accepted in to...so when I said, GOD WILLING, I meant it!
Girls (and guys), I have been out of school for 14 years~! I am SCARED silly!
Last week I took my placement test, only had to take the math section because my english transferred from ECU, I nearly CAVED! I ate about 1/4 of a chocolate cake that afternoon due to nerves and nearly lost that before I got there, LOL!
So..there you have it. I am finished TOILING over WHAT to do...now, it's sink or swim...do or die! No more "BUTS"...I am going out on FAITH and giving God the glory for every day He gives me (and every test I pass! lol).
I will miss my job, my comfort zone...this has been a place of "refuge" for me as a mom with lots of adult converstation, lots of laughter, some HORRIBLE days...but mostly, a place I have enjoyed and a place I made three BEST friends...I will miss you three girls...and you too Mrs. Elaine! and the high speed internet, LOL!

12 comments:

Mandy said...

Good luck, Shelley. Don't be scared! I remember when I was at Chowan, it was the older (not that you are old :o) and wiser students that excelled in classes. You will do fine, because you are more focused and have more to lose than 14 years ago. Enjoy this time home with the kids, meeting new people and opening more doors. I, too have been pondering furthering my education, but no where close offers a Masters program that I am interested in. There are always Internet courses though and that is where I might lean...ECU is a long ways away these days...lol

Donielle said...

I'm so excited for you! That was a huge decision but one I'm sure you won't regret. Even if your plans change again school wise in the next couple of years, you will have this time with your girls that they will remember forever. Good quality time instead of all the hustle and bustle, running from here to there, fixing dinner, giving baths and rushing to get the kids in bed only
to do it over. I know there are a lot of people who would love to make this change but can't truly afford to do it. But then there are those who aren't sure if they can do it, but take the leap of faith anyway and trust God totally. I think it is awesome that you have taken this leap!! Good luck Shelley!

Judi said...

Good luck Shelley!! It will all work out the way it is suppose to.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck to you Shelley! I know you can do this. It is nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself.

Tina said...

I just can't wait to have a good hygienist PICK in my teeth!!! LOL! I wouldn't do that to you..I know you'll do great!! He's listening and will provide!!

Shelley and Such said...

Oh yeah...I will not take any of you as patients, LOL!

Shelley and Such said...

And thanks for all the kind comments and support from each of you. As working moms or moms-to-be...I know you all can relate to my TOILING over this.

Michele said...

OK...so I knew about this and I am tearing up heavily as I read this from HOME! I am so happy for you girl BUT so sad that you won't be at Resinall any more for me...you've been there for me thru good times and bad! We've had some very interesting discussions, stuff that I'd never discuss with anybody else! And I know that we can still talk on the phone, text, email, etc. so I won't be too sad! And you have to promise that we'll at least go out to eat and get together every now and then and you must stick to attending SDV's with me! I'm holding you to that one! Anyway, enuf of my sobbing...you'll catch this enuf later in person! I luv ya girl! I wish the BEST of luck with your new beginning!!!

Wendy said...

I'm sorry I just found this post, I had no idea. You should be so proud of yourself, way to let Go and let God!!!

Michele is right about that SDV! You better be there!

Good Luck to you!

Keri said...

Wow!! What an exciting and wonderful time for you. I'm so glad to hear your great news. There is nothing like being at home with your kids. You will love it - and will never regret it. I hope everything with school works out for you. I know you can accomplish whatever you put your mind to. It sounds like you have given it a lot of thought, and more importantly, a lot of prayer. Good luck on this new adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Elizabeth said...

WAY TO GO!!! Good for you!! You are definately braver than I am ... I am not sure I could go back to school.
My hat is off to you!!! You will do great because once you set your mind to it it is a done deal .. that is the type of person you are! STRONG!!!

Holms and I said...

Good Luck!! it will all work out like it is suppose to!! But like they said you better be at the SDVs!! Praying everything goes your way!!!