Thursday, July 10, 2008

Daycare

Long story short...and most of you know this already but...until about a week ago I have been driving to Union everyday to take Rylee to daycare, coming back up to Pendleton to drop Bentlee at school, then on to work...about an hour trip each morning. Wade and I strongly beleive in a good, structured daycare whether it be a center or a home daycare. I have been doing this for about a year. Once Bentlee got out of school our daycare fees doubled....WOW! So, its about $600/month plus gas, etc.
We decided to try something different...Jessica (my neice/sister) is 19 and has worked at two daycares. So we took the girls out of daycare and Jessica is keeping them at home now...or at least until September when she starts school again. I was reluctant to do this for many reasons...Wade works shift work so its been a real change having them home for him, I am still a bit serious about keeping my house in order (other than the extreme dust, LOL!), and the main reason is I was afraid the girls would get out of routine and have no stimulation.
SO, I devised a plan! I always have a "plan" as Wade says...LOL! I made a schedule similiar to their school/daycare schedule to include breakfast, playtime, arts & crafts, lunch, nap, and some deviations include an afternoon at the pool or a trip to the library.
I have to say I have been pretty impressed, actually extremely impressed, with Jessica...she is not the most domestic person I know but she is great with my girls. She knows how to give them a balanced meal at lunch..or as close as possible for my picky eaters. I tell her all the time she should be going to school for teaching, not nursing. Here are a few of her craft ideas the girls have made this week. Plus, she reads them books, they have outside time, free-play, and some "time-outs" :o).
Its been a real blessing for me especially...my mornings are SO less hectic, my ride to work is peaceful...and the girls are happy. I prayed about this for some time and was just not sure if this was the right thing to do...but now I know it is.
A big yellow cat!

Beautiful butterflies!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

And it means so much to be able to trust the person that is taking care of you most precious gifts in life. The crafts are cute and I am sure Jessica is enjoying this time with the girls.

Mandy said...

I just thought about something I heard about. Rosie O'Donnel has wrote a book called "Crafty You". It is different craft ideas you can do at home with your kids. Google it, you may find it interesting and it might give Jessica some more ideas to do with the girls.

Michele said...

Jessica's doing such a great job!!! WAY CUTE and AWESOME crafts!!!!

Judi said...

It is always hard to make these day care decisions. It sounds like you followed your heart. That always works out.

Keri said...

Glad you found a solution for a less hectic summer! I'm sure the girls are loving the extra attention they are getting too.