Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Treatment #5

Dad will have treatment #5 tomorrow instead of Friday (due to the holiday of course). The last treatment really took alot out of him and it took him a few more days to bounce back. That is typical from what we were told, each treatment would be worse. Last week he finally came around a bit and then...

He and mom kept the girls the weekend. They went down to the river, mom stayed on the pier with Rylee because she is afraid of the water, and dad swam with Bentlee. When it was time to go mom took Rylee's life jacket off and was attempting to get Bentlee out of the water...Dad was putting his shoes on...AND they heard a SPLASH! Rylee had fallen in the WATER! The water down there is only thigh deep to me but river water is dark...both of them panicked! Mom jumped in, dad jumped over mom and into the water...and hurt his BACK! Everyone else had gone back to their campers so mom couldn't call for help....mom got Rylee of course and finally got dad out!

He would not go to the hospital of course, laid around all weekend...finally got in so much pain he ended up at the ER yesterday morning. He has a compound fracture in his T8 (lower part of his spine).

AS IF MOM and DAD did not have enough going on! And I felt SOOOOO guilty and I know I shouldn't but if only I had not asked them to keep both girls! But, I guess it could have happened in another way...I just feel bad for them both. You know I said in Friday's post that I was not asking them to keep the girls much and then this happens. Mom cried and cried about it because she had taken Rylee's life jacket off. I told her she still would have panicked regardless. Rylee is fine, dad is not. He will be but its going to take MORE rest and no lifting.

So, keep them in your prayers as I know most of you do. THANKS for all the kind comments and support you continue to show.

3 comments:

Donielle said...

OMG, I know that was scary. I sure hope he gets better soon. I know it's easier said than done, but don't feel guilty. Nobody knew this was going to happen. Just thank God they were able to get her and your dad is no worse than he is.

Mandy said...

Not trying to down play what happened, but that is life. I think everyone has a lot of wisha, coulda, woulda's. I know I do. I am sure no one thinks bad of you because you let your kids spend time with your parents and your dad unfortunately got hurt. I am sure the outcome (Rylee being safe) totally out weighs what happened to him in his mind. I understand your feelings as well, but don't beat yourself up. Your Dad knows how much you love him and it was just an accident.

Keri said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! You shouldn't be hard on yourself though - it is one of those things that just happen, unfortunately. I know your parents love keeping the girls. And thank goodness everyone is okay - your Dad is so tough, I know he will be fine. I will keep him in my prayers.