Monday, May 19, 2008

Steve


Well, I have put this post off long enough...I could not bring myself to blog Friday...I felt like I had "cobwebs" in my head and just could not think of what to say.
So...Thursday afternoon around 5:25pm, Steve was in a 4-wheeler accident. Wade, "Rat", and Steve had been riding since 1pm, they pulled out of a path onto the road and headed up to a driveway. Steve was in the back and nobody really knows what happened...I have heard lots of other stories...No, he did not get hit by a car, nor did he hit a pole...no one will ever know so lets leave it at that.
I will not give you all the details but basically, Steve was not breathing when Rat and Wade got to him, rescue was called, he was transported to RCH, and then airlifted to Pitt Memorial.
After arriving at PMH, he had a hole drilled in his head to releive the pressure on his brain. The pressure has fluctuated all weekend anywhere from 7 to 30-some...and finally stabalized last night. We are waiting for the end of the "critical" period before we will know what happens next. He is in a coma, has a broken collar bone, shoulder, arm, and ribs. Once the pressure remains stabile further testing on his brain can be done. His blood pressure and vitals are good and his lungs are clear.The doctor did say he would be heavily sedated for 2-3 weeks.
I went back to the hospital yesterday and Vicky was in good spirits...I am so very concerned about both of them and I wish I could fix this.
Mr. Steve and "Mickey", as Bentlee calls them, are very dear friends of ours...Vicky and Steve work with me, Steve and Wade ride 4-wheelers together regularly, they love our girls almost as much as we do...and there's just a strong friendship there.
This is a tragic accident and one I hope will show us all that we are not promised tomorrow...we are not promised our health...Vicky told me yesterday she felt like she was having an out-of-body experience...I can only imagine.
As of this morning...his pressure was still low and they were expecting the doctor to come in around 2pm. The ICU unit is very strict on visitation in Greenville. I beleive there are 4 times a day for 15 minutes.
Depending on how Steve is today and tonight, Ryan (their son) and Vicky are going to get a hotel room and alternate staying at the hospital. Jessica had to come home this week for school.
I will do my best to keep you posted on his status.If you would like to do something for Steve and Vicky, PRAY to the Lord above to heal Steve and keep Vicky and the children strong! You can send cards to their home address which is in the phone book. I have a feeling it will be many days before they come home for good but Jessica is back and forth.
There are alot of details surrounding this story but I am not going to list everything...just lift Steve and Vicky up to the Lord and ask him to help carry them through this ordeal.

No comments: